Monday, June 12, 2017

Book Review: Kidnapped Idol by Jennie Bennett

Book: Kidnapped Idol by Jennie Bennett
Genre: Contemporary romance
Rating:★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

When I went to that conference that I talked about on the last post, it was mentioned in that class that someone had written a kpop romance. I was all.. WHAT? Cause you know, that's what I want to do. Well, I sort of wanted to do. I didn't think anyone would want to read it. And I sort of wanted to do it just for fun. But here someone actually did for real. So, of course I was intrigued and looked it up that night and since it happened to be free, I downloaded it!

Then I proceed to actually read it... in a day or so.

It's about a girl and her friend who are in China in a study abroad program. One day, they are visiting the Great Wall, and it starts raining and she twists her ankle and she hides in a sheltered spot and then suddenly there's this guy who is also hiding there. And so they talk a bit and she realizes he seems to be running away from something or someone. But he helps her and her hurt foot get back to the their bus at which time there is a ton of chaos and commotion and  he is nabbed and taken away.

So she realizes that he is actually quite famous and well known but everyone is calling him by a different name then how he introduced himself. (His stage name vs. his real name, yeah?)  Her friend helps her fill in the pieces and it's not long until she understands that he is a member of kpop group.

And it appears that he is in some kind of trouble.

Well, of course their paths cross again and she ends up hiding him for a bit in their apartment and it's all very exciting and crazy and impossible. And now I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of what the conflict is but before it's over they are both running from this crazy company and they both end up being kidnapped and threatened and mistreated.

In the meantime, they fall crazy madly in love. They quickly figure out how to deal with these issues and it all ends happily ever after of course.

Well, and so. I enjoyed it just because it was a fun story with all the stuff I'm quite into. But it all felt very surface-y and and I wanted more deepness. That's basically my biggest complaint here. I needed more to it... more to sink my teeth into and to grab a hold of. A more intense romance. More back story. Just... more. Maybe that's not the nature of these types of stories. But if I do write one of my own, I'm determined to try make it just a little more meaty.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like maybe light and fluffy didn't do it for you this time. Still sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails